Can Wild Mushrooms Poison Vegetable Gardens?
By: Jessie Keith
“Are wild mushrooms in my vegetable garden a risk if they just disintegrate? Any risk of poisoning the veggies for eating?” Question from Margaret from Chandler, Arizona
Answer: Some wild mushrooms are certainly poisonous, so I recommend removing the fruits from your lawn and garden if you have pets or small children that might consume them. If you have them in your vegetable garden, then your soil may be too moist. Either way, remove the mushrooms as you see them if you have any concerns. It would be wise to wear gloves while handling them. Expert sources say that the spore loads of toxic mushrooms are typically too low to cause any problems. Still, better safe than sorry.
Black Gold Horticulturist
This site may contain content (including images and articles) as well as advice, opinions and statements presented by third parties. Sun Gro does not review these materials for accuracy or reliability and does not endorse the advice, opinions, or statements that may be contained in them. Sun Gro also does not review the materials to determine if they infringe the copyright or other rights of others. These materials are available only for informational purposes and are presented “as is” without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including without limitation warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. Reliance upon any such opinion, advice, statement or other information is at your own risk. In no event shall Sun Gro Horticulture Distribution, Inc. or any of its affiliates be liable to you for any inaccuracy, error, omission, fact, infringement and the like, resulting from your use of these materials, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting there from.